What is a Homegroup Network?
Homegroup Network is a connection of two or more computers & laptops within the confine of your home to share privately music, pictures & videos libraries and other files and printers.
My experiment: I am using two PC installed with Microsoft Windows 10 operating system. My objective is to collect all music, pictures & videos from all my other computers and centralize them in one overall computer named as “Storage Computer” with four units of 4TB hard disks. The parts for this Storage Computer cost me around $2K (self-assembled). This is the way to go about it …
A) Create a Homegroup network from first computer:
1) File Explorer – Network – Homegroup
2) Next select “Create a Home Group”
3) Select what to share or accept all.
4) This will generate a Password. Please note down this password, as you have to use it in all other computers within the same sharing.
B) Now with the other computer …
1) First ensure the “Network discovery and file sharing” is turn ON.
Go to Network discovery and file sharing and select “No, make the network that I am connected to a private network”.
2) File Explorer then
3) Click Homegroup to “share with other home PCs”
4) Next click “Join Now”
5) Select what to share and enter the Password generated from the first (A) computer and click finish.
Few points to note:
1) All computers must be turned ON during sharing and connected to the same home broadband network.
2) Do not disturb the Operating System files within each computer that belongs to the respective computers. Operating System files cannot just copy and paste, it is not that simple.
3) All sharing can be disabled again, as and when you like.
How to Share one complete hard disk (with data only) within one computer?
1) Select Hard Disk, right click and select “Properties”.
2) Click “Sharing”
3) Click “Advanced Sharing”
4) Check “Share this folder” box
5) Assign a name to this hard disk besides the single drive letter (e.g. d-4TB01-Max)
6) Click apply & OK and close.
7) This hard disk will appear in the Network Folder under the specific computer name.
8) Repeat for other hard disks (to put to homegroup network) as required.